Exciting news! USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack recently appointed SUFC members to the Forest Service’s National Urban and Community Forestry Advisory Council (NUCFAC).
As directed by Congress, NUCFAC supervises the National U&CF Program and advises Secretary Vilsack and other federal entities on urban natural resources. The council composed the National Ten-Year Urban and Community Forestry Action Plan (2016-2026), a goal-driven guidebook for the urban forestry community. Notably, the council is also responsible for developing grant categories and approving grant proposals.
SUFC congratulates the following members on their appointment to NUCFAC:
- Karen Firehock, Executive Director and Co-Founder of Green Infrastructure Center, serves on SUFC’s Policy Working Group.
- Asia Dowtin, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Urban and Community Forestry at Michigan State University, is a member of SUFC’s Research Working Group.
- Earl Eutsler, Associate Director/State Forester of DDOT’s Urban Forestry Administration, previously served on the SUFC Steering Committee.
- Paul Johnson, Senior Director of Urban and Community Forestry at Sustainable Forestry Initiative, is an active member of the Coalition.
- Lisa Ortega, Executive Director of Nevada Plants, is an active member of the Coalition.
We look forward to the valuable contributions of the appointed SUFC members to NUCFAC, furthering the council’s pivotal role in guiding urban and community forestry initiatives.